Do not apply ice, do not use a tourniquet, do not try to suck out the venom, and do not use any device to cut or slice the bite site. Keep calm, do not run, and keep the affected limb elevated during transportation to the hospital.
Table of Contents
How long do you have after being bitten by rattlesnake?
Within 30 minutes of being bitten, you should be able to get medical help. If the bite isn’t treated, your bodily functions will break down over a period of 2 or 3 days, and the bite may cause permanent damage to your body. If you are bitten by a venomous snake, call your local emergency number immediately.
How do you treat a rattlesnake bite in the wild?
To remove venom from the skin, rinse the area around the bite site with water. The wound should be cleaned and covered with a sterile dressing. The rings or jewelry should be removed. Immobilize the injured part as you would for a broken bone, but just below the level of the puncture wound. If you suspect that you have been bitten by a venomous snake, seek medical attention immediately.
What to do if bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking?
If you’re unsure about the type of snake that bit you, you can call the emergency department. You may have to hike out to the nearest hospital if you are alone in the wilderness.
What percent of rattlesnake bites are fatal?
Less than 1 in 600 rattlesnake bites result in death and 33 percent don’t contain venom at all. For your own sake, you should assume that venom has been introduced and is present in the bite.
If you suspect you have been bitten, seek immediate medical attention. below)
- Seek emergency medical care if you experience any of the following symptoms: fever
- Muscle aches
- Numbness or tingling in your hands
- Or legs
loss of appetite
If you are unable to seek emergency care, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Should you put an ice pack on a rattlesnake bite?
Don’t use a tourniquet or apply ice. Don’t cut the wound or try to remove the venom. If you want to speed your body’s absorption of the poison, don’t drink alcohol or caffeine.
Can you survive an untreated rattlesnake bite?
It is extremely rare for a person to die from a rattlesnake bite. If your symptoms are mild and you can walk or ride your bike, then do so. For more severe bites, you may be able to create a splint, but it’s not always possible.
If you are bitten by a snake, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention immediately. You may be able to treat the bite yourself, or you may need to seek the assistance of a medical professional who specializes in snake bites.